People often forget that for the accounting profession, this time of year can be very chaotic. The September and October 15th deadlines create a couple of months of heightened stress. Everyone thinks April 15th ends the long days until New Years but accountants and anyone lives with them knows better. October 16th marks a big sigh of relief from accountants and CPAs (and their families).
We want to offer a list of things to do after October 15th to unwind and relax. You deserve it!
- Catch on up world events. Did you know Apple released the IPhone 6s while you were buried in tax forms this fall?
- Go to the movies. The newest Hunger Games sequel should be out soon. Aren’t you glad you are an accountant instead of an actuary. Can you imagine how many times people say to them, “May the odds be ever in your favor.”?
- Dine out. Red Lobster is offering endless shrimp for a limited time only. Better hurry.
- Watch the tube. Now would be a perfect time to watch those Presidential debates that you DVRed. If you haven’t grinned in a while, The Donald ought to elicit some stress-relieveing laughs. The hair alone is worth a good chuckle.
- Start your Christmas shopping. Only 70 days until Christmas. Wait, scratch that as relaxing – THERE ARE ONLY 70 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS! Perhaps you should grab a glass of wine (or 2) and start cruising Amazon to get that shopping started.
- Spend some time with your spouse/significant other. In case you are unsure, it is that person that sleeps on the other side of the bed from you.
- Visit with friends over coffee. You probably haven’t heard but Starbucks has their Pumpkin Spice Lattes back on the menu.
- Play with your kids. Remember those cute little humans running around your house that you’ve been “shhhhhing” the last several months; they are in fact fun to play with. And they’ve missed you.
- Take a vacation. Your next couple of months should be much slower. Vacation deals are plentiful during hurricane season. (another benefit of your career that no one told you in college)
- Throw a party! Have fun. You deserve it. You have worked hard, now play hard. Enjoy time with your family and friends. Savor every moment of the holidays with loved ones because…tax season starts up again in January.
In January, we are offering an exciting leadership education for that will be eligible for continuing education credits in Mobile that coincides with the Reese’s Senior Bowl and Mardi Gras. Space is limited. Email us for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamie Kertis, AIF®, QKA
Retirement Plan Specialist
Grinkmeyer Leonard Financial
1950 Stonegate Drive / Suite 275 /Birmingham, AL 35242
Office: 205.970.9088 / Toll-Free: 866.695.5162